square power socket on AMD 64 boards

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Wed Sep 29 16:27:51 PDT 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 09:46 am, Lars Tunkrans wrote:
> Rob wrote:
> > Is it mandatory to use this square socket or just an option?
>
> IT IS Mandatory !!!

Depends.  Some boards work with it disconnected, others won't power up.
I have several that don't care.  There is 12V power coming in via the
main atx plug as well.

Some boards bus together all the 12V power sources.  Others run the cpu
voltage regulator exclusively from the 4-pin socket.  If you have a
board that uses the former (it seems many athlon64 boards are), then
the only risk is that your motherboard may be drawing more 12V power
than the PSU can handle.  You'll see this by watching the hardware
monitor showing a serious drop in the 12V rail.

Again though, I haven't seen any that this is a problem.  I'd expect
this to be a bigger problem in the pentium-4 world.

Of course, you can always get a hard-drive plug -> 4-pin atx adapter
cable too.
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com