FreeBSD 5.3 problem on Dual AMD64 2.2GHz with 8GB RAM continues

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Thu Oct 28 20:34:19 PDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 10:25:07AM +0900, Ganbold wrote:
> >By chance, have you tried both with 4GB per CPU and with all 8GB on one
> >CPU?  Did it make a difference?
>
> With 4GB RAM I compiled kernel without ATA support and tried new kernel
> with 8GB RAM.

You definately don't want to use ATA, so it is good you compiled it out.
It is felt by several of us that there is a problem with ATA in >4GB
systems right now.

Correct me if I'm wrong -- Scott Long verified that the driver for the
IBM RAID controller you are using is 64-bit clean and has no known issues
on >4GB systems?

> I checked memory with memtest. No errors, passed everything.

That is a good sign. :-)

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)