acroread on the amd64

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Nov 24 13:55:51 PST 2004

Ernst W. Winter <ewinter at ewinter.org> wrote:
 > Sorry I posted this to you, but for the benefit to others I would
 > suggest to compile "xpf" or "gpdf" and "gv" as I never used the
 > Acrobat reader and had no need for it. I found those other ones done
 > a job well even here now on a AMD64.

Acroread is a _lot_ faster than those, especially with
anti-aliasing enabled.  I've had a complex document
(containing lots of detailed maps and graphics) which
gv took more than two minutes to render, while Acroread
took 10 seconds.  Also, I've had several cases where
gv etc. did not render a document properly, most of the
time it had to do with overlapping elements which were
rendered in the wrong order.  Acroread has never any
such problems.

For those reasons I use Acroread most of the time, if
possible.

(The above are just my observations.  YMMV.)

Best regards
   Oliver

 > Can the denizens of this group enlighten me about what the
 > advantages of Python are, versus Perl ?
"python" is more likely to pass unharmed through your spelling
checker than "perl".
        -- An unknown poster and Fredrik Lundh