Make segfaults during RELENG_5_3 buildworld

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 14 00:19:59 GMT 2004

Hey

I made a clean FreeBSD 5.3 install on a dual amd64 system, which fails to
run a complete buildworld.  To be more specific it's a Dell PowerEdge
1850, so it's actually the Intel clone chips, but I don't think that
should matter much in this context.

When I run buildworld it always fails at the same place with a
segfault in make:

===> gnu/usr.bin/groff/doc
makeinfo --no-split -I /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/doc -I /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/doc/../../../../contrib/groff/doc /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/doc/../../../../contrib/groff/doc/groff.texinfo  -o groff.info
gzip -cn groff.info > groff.info.gz
===> gnu/usr.bin/groff/font
===> gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devX100
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
*** Error code 139

Running gdb on the corefile does not seem to produce anything useful
(just "garbage").

I don't have any CFLAGS or similar in make.conf, so that should not be
the problem.

Does anybody have any clue on what's going on here?

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team