CPUTYPE for 32-bit mode?

Andrew Houghton aah at roarmouse.org
Thu May 27 19:29:53 PDT 2004

Not necessarily the best place to ask this question, but..

What, if any, CPUTYPE setting in /etc/make.conf makes sense for an
opteron running in i386 mode?  I'm not sure how much tuning GCC 3.3.3
actually provides when fiddling with things like this, so maybe it
doesn't matter.  I would use k8 or opteron, but neither are listed as
options in /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf.  athlon-xp and athlon-4
seem the next best bet, with (I think) athlon-4 edging out athlon-xp due
to support for SSE2 instruction sets.

Should I even bother with this?

- a.