Why is MySQL nearly twice as fast on Linux/AMD64 Vs. FreeBSD/AMD64?

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu May 20 12:09:49 PDT 2004

[Please don't top post, is losses context.]

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 11:32:10AM -0700, mike wrote:
> well i am not sure then if we're proving that statement wrong here then.
>
> obviously there's still some incompatibilities or whomever is developing
> the threading stuff in freebsd should be testing against mysql.
>
> i need to setup a production mysql server soon, it will be a dual 1.8ghz
> opteron, and i would love to run freebsd amd64 on it, but right now, it
> wouldn't make sense if i could put mandrake linux on it and basically out
> of the box outperform freebsd as much as 200%...

I agree something isn't working, that's obvious from the results.  That
doesn't change the fact that linuxthreads is a gross hack that does
something two system thread libs are supposed to do.  Unless porting
linuxthreads to amd64 is REALLY trivial, you would almost certaintly get
more milege in the longterm working with the people on threads@ to find
and fix the problems with our threading libaries or scheduler.  Obvious
things to do include building test cases that require minimal mysql
knowlege.

-- Brooks