hardware suggestions

Justin Hopper jhopper at bsdhosting.net
Thu Mar 11 08:03:10 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 01:23, alan barrow wrote:
> Dude :) may the force be with you...

Does this mean that you've checked for 1U 4-hot-swap drive systems, and
you didn't find them either?  So far, my search is turning up nada.

> I have been trying the tyan 2882 with onboard SCSI. Just make sure you
> have the correct riser and free-64 goes in fine. We have also tried the
> board with the SMDC card - console redirect to COMM2.

I checked out the Newisys 2100, and it actually looks like a better
offering than Appro's.  Have you been able to performance test the
onboard SCSI controller?  I'd be most curious about throughput and CPU
utilization under heavy I/O loads, as this project is going to be mainly
database-driven and has the potential of creating a massive I/O load.

Also, do you happen to have a ballpark figure for how much the 2100
costs?  I hate companies that won't give you a rough price up front, but
instead force you to contact their sales team for a quote >:(

> The board looks good so far the broadcom adapters work fine, as for SCSI
> we are using the LSI 301 and have tried the intel SRCU42L both seem to
> work fine.
>
> N.B. The only issue with the LSI is you need patience as the BIOS only
> comes up after all the boot devices have failed.

That's no fun =(