Preliminary support for running 32-bit Linux binaries

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Fri Jun 18 17:32:59 GMT 2004

David O'Brien writes:

 > You've been using Slackware bits, but the project has settled on Red Hat
 > bits for 32-bit x86 Linux support.  Can you retest with the same 32-bit
 > bits as in ports/emulators/linux_base/?

When I installed this, I tarred up /compat/linux from an x86 running
linux_base-8-8.0_3.  I then installed Acrobat and realplayer8 from
ports (only required tiny patches to the makefile) as well as
OpenOffice via direct download.  Those all worked fine, so I think the
redhat libs are OK.

 > I feel we should install your bits into sys/amd64/linux32/ and leave
 > sys/amd64/linux/ for the 64-bit Linux compat bits.  This module's
 > Makefile should live in sys/modules/linux32/ also.

Agreed.

 > thanks for this great work!

Yes, thank you!

Drew