CFLAGS+= -fPIC per default?

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Sun Feb 22 16:12:54 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 04:42:52PM -0700, Joseph Fenton wrote:

> >You fail to see the point. PC relative relocations are not
> >guaranteed to be without relocation and hence are not by
> >definition PIC.
> >
> That makes no sense.

Just not to you. You even use this in your argument by differentiating
between intra- and inter-section addressing. The reason my words do not
make sense to you is that you map it onto your own point of view as if
we're approaching this from the same angle, but all you're seeing is
the mismatch between my words and your PoV.

I suggest you step away from depicting the final code when you
implicitly do away with all the uncertainties that a compiler needs
to work with, to which the -fPIC applies anyway and how it affects
the behaviour of the compiler.

 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel at xcllnt.net