AMD64 and lang/gcc3x on -CURRENT

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at pfeifer.com
Wed Feb 18 00:37:36 PST 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>>   *** Configuration amd64-portbld-freebsd5.2 not supported
>>   Configure in /tmp/a/ports/lang/gcc33/work/build/gcc failed, exiting.
>> and my gut tells me someone renamed x86_64 to amd64 somewhere without
>> making proper adjustment in upstream packages or something like that.
>
> From things David and/or Peter have written I've gathered the following:
>
> 1) AMD didn't give the platform an official name till fairly late
> 2) Some folks chose amd64
> 3) Later the muttonheads at the FSF chose x86_64

And right they were.  See yesterdays press announcement by Intel.

Plus, the FSF tools had support for x86_64 before AMD announced their
marketing names (AMD64, Opteron, Athlon64,...), as far as I know.

>> This is a heads up that I will shortly mark all affected GCC ports BROKEN,
>> unless someone steps forward and fixes this (not by hacking the port, but
>> by submitting proper patches upstream, if needed).
> I think hacking the port is the only way, since there's such a fundamental
> disagreement in what the platform is called (this same problem shows up in
> lots of software packages, BTW, like OpenAFS).

Yes, but these changes should be submitted back upstream to the FSF, at
least for the GCC 3.3, 3.4 and mainline branches which are still open for
patches, not kept as FreeBSD-local patches.

Gerald
--
Gerald "Jerry"   pfeifer at dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/