AMD64 and lang/gcc3x on -CURRENT

Adriaan de Groot adridg at sci.kun.nl
Mon Feb 16 13:28:44 PST 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>   *** Configuration amd64-portbld-freebsd5.2 not supported
>   Configure in /tmp/a/ports/lang/gcc33/work/build/gcc failed, exiting.
>
> and my gut tells me someone renamed x86_64 to amd64 somewhere without
> making proper adjustment in upstream packages or something like that.

>From things David and/or Peter have written I've gathered the following:

1) AMD didn't give the platform an official name till fairly late
2) Some folks chose amd64
3) Later the muttonheads at the FSF chose x86_64

> This is a heads up that I will shortly mark all affected GCC ports BROKEN,
> unless someone steps forward and fixes this (not by hacking the port, but
> by submitting proper patches upstream, if needed).

I think hacking the port is the only way, since there's such a fundamental
disagreement in what the platform is called (this same problem shows up in
lots of software packages, BTW, like OpenAFS).