Direct rendering doesn't work with Xorg 6.8.1

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 24 03:05:32 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 12:19:07AM +0100, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 02:30:27PM -0700, James Earl wrote:
> > Roland Smith wrote:
> > >After upgrading to 6.8.1, direct rendering stopped working. According to
> > >the X logfile, direct rendering is enabled:
> > >
> > >(relevant portion from the logfile)
> > >
> > >Roland
> >
> > Same here.  I also had this problem with 6.7.0.
> >
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-amd64/2004-December/002811.html
> >
> > It does feels like DRI is still working (at least 2D)... I haven't
> > tested any OpenGL apps though.
>
> AFAIK, DRI is only concerned with 3D. It has little or nothing to do
> with the 2D drivers.
>
> It used to work for me on 6.7.0, after fixing
> /usr/src/sys/dev/drm/drm_os_freebsd.h.
>
> I removed xorg 6.8.1 and dri, and installed the old 6.7.0 packages from
> the CD, but that didn't fix the problem. :-(

I just found out what happened. :-) The dri package that contains the
accellerated drivers was registered as installed, but hadn't actually
installed the drivers.

Forcebly removing the dri package, and adding it again solved the problem.

I discovered this by doing a ktrace on glxinfo, and then looking through
the tracefile with kdump. As soon as I saw that it failed to load
r200_dri.so (for my radeon card) I knew there was something wrong. And
indeed /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/ was empty.

So now I've got 6.7.0 working again. I'll try updating to 6.8.1 after
xmas.

Roland
--
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in email