amd64 laptop recommendations

Michael W. Oliver michael at gargantuan.com
Wed Dec 8 14:30:23 PST 2004

On 2004-12-06T11:42:50-0500, Michael W. Oliver wrote:
> I am in the market for an AMD64-based laptop, and am currently leaning
> toward the Acer Ferrari 3400, but would like to borrow a few minutes of
> your time to ask for suggestions on something better.

OK, following up to myself here, and to supplement the below information
on the Ferrari with what I found on another site, once again to get your
input/advice before buying.

I found a new machine at abscomputer.com called the 'Mayhem G3', which
has a few notable differences from the Acer Ferrari 3400, such as:

> o CPU - AMD64 3200+ (2.0 Ghz)

This is actually a AMD64 3000+ (2.0GHz) CPU, with 512k L2 cache, on the
Ferrari.  On the Mayhem, I have the option of a AMD64 3700+ CPU (2.4
GHz) with 1MB L2 cache.

> o LAN - Broadcom BCM5788M

The Mayhem has a RTL8201CL, which doesn't look to be supported by either
the re(4) or rl(4) drivers :(

> o Wireless - Broadcom BCM4306KFB (mini-PCI, maybe replaceable with
>   atheros-based a/b/g card????)

The Mayhem comes with an Engenius-branded Atheros card, 802.11 b/g,
model NI-3054MP (Aries2).  The Mini-PCI card actually has the model
number "NL-5354MP+ARIES2(F)-1.00" on it.  Noting Sam's posts to current@
today about the updated ath hal and such, this is tempting.

> o bluetooth / modem - CSR BC212615BEN-E4 (agere scorpio)

no integrated bluetooth on the Mayhem :-/

> o Via K8T800 chipset, Via VT8235CE

SiS 755 + SiS SB 963L on the Mayhem.  Ho hum, don't know enough about
either to care one way or the other.

> o Phoenix BIOS (hoping for hw.acpi.s4bios=1)

Nobody could tell me about the BIOS of the Mayhem.

Both laptops have the ATI Radeon 9700 w/128MB.  The Ferrari comes with
512MB DRAM, while the Mayhem comes with 1GB.  The Ferrari has 4 USB
ports, while the Mayhem has 3.

With the above noted options for the Mayhem, the price is within a few
dollars of the Ferrari, so price is only significant in that I will get
(mostly) more for my money from an off-brand manufacturer.

If you have an opinion, I would very much like to hear it.  Indecision
sucks.

Thanks.

--
Michael W. Oliver
[see complete headers for contact information]