FreeBSD 5.1/amd64 on Bi-opteron platform

G.A. Silber silber at cri.ensmp.fr
Tue Sep 23 08:53:52 PDT 2003

Hello;

I'd like to install FreeBSD 5.1/Amd64 on my bi-opteron workstation. I've
tried with the FreeBSD mini-iso install disk for amd64 (5.1-RELEASE) but
the kernel is crashing at the beginning of the loading procedure with
the following error-message:

fault virtual address     = 0xffff807fffe78000
fault code                   = supervisor write, page not present
[...]
Stopped at   0xffffffffc0464654:    decl %ecx

The configuration is:

- RioWorks HDAMA motherboard
   * Dual AMD Opteron CPU Socket-940 solution
   * Supports up to 16GB Registered DDR333
   * Integrated ATI RageXL video controller with 8MB memory
   * Dual Broadcom5702 Gigabit Ethernet controllers onboard
   * Promise PDC20319, 4-port Serial ATA with RAID 0, 1, 10
- Dual Opteron 244 1.8 GHz
- 8 GB RAM ECC
- Adaptec SCSI Card 39320-R

The station works well with Debian GNU/Linux SMP but in 32 bit mode.

Georges.
--
Georges-Andre.Silber at ensmp.fr http://www.cri.ensmp.fr/~silber
Centre de recherche en informatique, Ecole des mines de Paris