FYI, I've switched my primary desktop to AMD64.

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Tue Oct 21 13:44:12 PDT 2003

Santos wrote:

> > And now to do the same thing to my work desktop.  I'm planning to use
> > an Asus K8V + Athlon64 3200+ there.
>
> Hi, what is the time for buildworld in 32 and 64 bits modes?

For RELENG_4, in 32 bit mode, on the K8V + Athlon64 3200+, buildworld
(on disk, no precaching or ramdisks etc) goes at about 12-13 minutes.

The athlon64 FX-51 at home should go faster due to the dual memory channels
for more bandwidth and the higher clock speed.  However, I have not tried it
with RELENG_4.

I only use kernels under 5.x with lots of debugging compiled in, so I dont
have any fair numbers for comparison.  I'll do some more targeted benchmarks
over the next few days.

Cheers,
-Peter
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com