case for dual-processor Opteron machines

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Tue Oct 21 10:28:25 PDT 2003

I've been asked a few times what case one can use in building a dual-proc
Opteron workstation.  So I thought I'd answer it publically for all.

AMD uses the InWin Q500
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=570 with the internal 3"
drive cage removed.  This case has tons of room and even with the 3"
drive cage removed there are still 5 drive bays left.  This case is
US$69.32 from
http://www.pricetool.com/pr-In_Win_IW_Q500_IW-Q500_ATX_Full_Tower_Case?sp=gcm&tid=921103

If you want a shorter case, I have also installed both Tyan K8W (s2885)
and MSI-9131 mobos into the Antec SX835II Performance Series II mid-Tower
case http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=80843.
Again with the internal 3" drive cage removed.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)