Problems with Matrox Mystique in 1000A

Dan Williams dan at bigw.org
Tue Apr 22 19:22:10 PDT 2003

Hi,

In my AS 1000A 5/400, I've put a Matrox Mystiqe with 4MB of VRAM.  Its
got the 1064SG chip, which is supported by X11 and the mga accelerated
driver.  However, XFree86 under both 1024x768x16 and 800x600x16, I get
_bad_ graphics corruption, consisting of vertical yellow lines down the
screen in all windows and graphics elements.  Of note is that this card
is from a PC.  Is there anything I can do about this?  Is it something
Alpha or bus speed related?  Should I try another slot?  Its in the
slot the original card was in...

I had tried to run X with the supplied 1MB Number Nine Trio64+ card,
but that ended in failure as the machine never actually brought up the
display in graphics mode (still was in text mode with gibberish) and
whenever I pressed Ctrl+ALT+Backspace to exit the X server, the machine
paniced with a "sense code 0x8e <something>" error.

I happen to have a Dell card, but its also a Trio64+ and I'm not sure
it will work well. What video cards have people gotten to run perfectly
find in their AlphaServers?

Thanks,
Dan