AS1200

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Thu Apr 3 12:30:25 PST 2003

Kevin A. Pieckiel writes:
 > On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 02:53:05PM -0500, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
 >
 > > Bear in mind that there are some circumstances where 4.x doesn't work
 > > on a 1200.  Most notably when there is an NCR scsi controller on a
 > > non-zero hose.  If you have problems installing 4.x, you may need to
 > > use 5.0.
 >
 > Non-zero hose?  I've not heard that terminology before.  Would you please
 > define/explain this?  I'm pretty sure (but not positive) it has an NCR
 > controller.  I'll verify when I actually have my hands on the machine
 > within a few weeks.

Alpha do peer buses differently.  Rather than having multiple
connections to the host system appear as fake pci-pci bridges like
x86s do, each connection to the host system is called a "hose".  Each
hose has its own address space, and has its own tree of pci buses.
Eg, hose 0 has a pci bus #0, and #1, etc, hose 1 has a pci bus #0, #1
#2, etc. The address space on hoses other than hose #0 is handled via
a hack in 4.x, and some boards don't work because of that.  This is
done right in 5.x

You can search the archives for more info.

Drew