openafs server executables

Ben Kaduk minimarmot at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 09:10:39 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Palle Girgensohn <girgen at pingpong.net> wrote:

> --On tisdag, ti 16 dec 2008 09.28.21 -0500 Derrick Brashear
> <shadow at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> What do you propose for the path of the redundant binaries ?
>>>

>> Putting the extra copies in sbin
>
> This is stupid. Why two copies? What if server and client installations get
> out of sync? That couldmake problems very hard to debug, since it is hardly
> really well specified which of bin and sbin that comes first in the path.
> The user will get confused, at best.
>
> It is really a very good argument for just having one port. I see no real
> reason why there should be a separation. Some client binaries are only
> needed when the server is installed, hence they need both. There seems to be
> no clean cut between server and client in the upstream sources (client-only
> and server-only installations share some binaries, e.g.), then we should not
> force such a (non-clean) cut into the FreeBSD ports system either.

There are some things that are clearly client, and some that
are clearly server, and some that are shared.  Now, we could probably
argue for a while about exactly which ones are which, but that doesn't
need to affect a conceptual breakdown into one or more FreeBSD ports.

The three-way division mentioned elsewhere is, in fact, admirably
suited to this situation:
openafs-base for the shared commands
openafs-server (DEPENDS openafs-base) for the server
openafs-client (also DEPENDS openafs-base) is the client
And one could also make a meta-package openafs that
depends on both client and server, if one wants.

The concern about having two different versions of
fs, etc. is gone; one can even use the version-dependency
tracking of FreeBSD ports to insure that the client and
server utilities do not get out of sync.

-Ben Kaduk