openafs server executables

Palle Girgensohn girgen at pingpong.net
Tue Dec 16 06:46:34 PST 2008

--On tisdag, ti 16 dec 2008 09.28.21 -0500 Derrick Brashear
<shadow at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 9:14 AM, ElBarto <elbarto at arcadebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> Derrick Brashear wrote:
>>

>>>    So if I install openafs-client and openafs-server I'll have fs at
>>>    two different place ? Seems ugly to me.
>>>

>>> Sounds subjective to me :)
>>>

>> What do you propose for the path of the redundant binaries ?
>>

> Putting the extra copies in sbin

This is stupid. Why two copies? What if server and client installations get
out of sync? That couldmake problems very hard to debug, since it is hardly
really well specified which of bin and sbin that comes first in the path.
The user will get confused, at best.

It is really a very good argument for just having one port. I see no real
reason why there should be a separation. Some client binaries are only
needed when the server is installed, hence they need both. There seems to
be no clean cut between server and client in the upstream sources
(client-only and server-only installations share some binaries, e.g.), then
we should not force such a (non-clean) cut into the FreeBSD ports system
either.

Palle