openafs server executables

ElBarto elbarto at arcadebsd.org
Tue Dec 16 06:15:25 PST 2008

Derrick Brashear wrote:

>     So if I install openafs-client and openafs-server I'll have fs at
>     two different place ? Seems ugly to me.
>

> Sounds subjective to me :)

What do you propose for the path of the redundant binaries ?

>     As I said vos and bos are useless to an user so they should be in
>     the server port.
>

> Repeating yourself doesn't make me more likely to agree.
>
> I suppose it depends how atuned to afs the user is but vos will check
> quotas where ACLs do not permit, (think help desk staffed by non
> admins) and bos can be used to verify that a server is unreachable
> because, say, it crashed, or what restart times are. (same idea)
>
> As a student I used them for those purposes uncompensated.

fs listquota is not enough for you ? (it's a real question, not ironic)
I kind of disagree for splitting the openafs ports cause as you say some
commands are useful (more or less) for both client and server part, but
as it seems that it's going to be that way, I want the port to be clean
and with no redundancy.
The thing is you can't use the some vos command without a client (vos
dump, restore etc ...) but those commands are not intend to users.
Quoting the openafs administration reference :

The commands in the vos command suite are the administrative interface
to the Volume Server and Volume Location (VL) Server. System
administrators use vos commands to create, move, delete, replicate, back
up and examine volumes, among other operations.

But I think you know that but know you see my point.

--
Emmanuel Vadot
elbarto at arcadebsd.org