OpenAFS on FreeBSD Progress (Works)

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Tue Dec 9 09:57:38 PST 2008

Hi Matt and others,

Matt Benjamin <matt at linuxbox.com> writes:

> As you can imagine, since I'm from the OpenAFS side, I have the
> following agenda:
>
> 1. get official FreeBSD port of openafs server and client
> established--it sounds like you're on track to do this (more below)

Yes.

> 2. absorb all relevant patches into OpenAFS upstream repo--we have
> Tony's 64bit fixes, as you saw, and have built these into what I
> submitted to RT for AMD64 target;  thanks for the pointer to the other
> two patches, and for putting them into RT already (!);  I'll look at
> those shortly

Seems I wasn't clear enough. I created a port using *your* diff from
RT. But added two extra patches. The first one to enable the port to
be compiled at amd64 and the second one to enable to compile the port
at FreeBSD-CURRENT.

Actually, I tried but didn't find a way to submit a followup to your
ticket at RT database.

> Note that I have submitted additional patches for FreeBSD openafs server
> and client that will probably appear in the next stable
> release--including masking SIGSYS triggered by ktc_GetToken as used by
> vos and other programs, when the lkm is not loaded [ugh], sorry didn't
> fix that earlier.
>
> Now, returning to the port topic...
>
> From what I understand, Alec's port uses Arla as the client, so I think
> that port isn't the _client_ port I personally and OpenAFS are trying

Yes, it's a server port.

> for, but presumably they can coexist?  Alec's is ideal for sites wishing
> to blend OpenAFS with Arla as the client, &c, and we certainly want to
> assist in any way we can with that effort, as well.
>
> I would like to open discussion on how OpenAFS specifically should best
> interface with the FreeBSD ports system--and people who would like to
> help us keep that port up to date :)

Seconded.

WBR
--