DotNet Core on FreeBSD

Russell Haley russ.haley at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 05:03:36 UTC 2017

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 9:59 PM, Russell Haley <russ.haley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Marcin,
>
> So I just read the Contribution License Agreement and I didn't see
> anything untoward.
>
> https://cla2.dotnetfoundation.org/cladoc/net-foundation-contribution-license-agreement.pdf
>
> Just remember all these projects are MIT, Apache 2 or CC license. I
> think bringing this code into FreeBSD is a bonkers good idea. (Kaboom!
> lolz). Especially if you think about how much proprietary code is out
> there on Windows that people will want to protect. A FreeNAS style
> management console would make FreeBSD a particularly attractive offer
> over GPL licensed OSes for companies to create appliance style systems
> (physical or virtual, a-la FreeNAS). Jails become yet another great
> way to distribute proprietary code.
>
> Sony PS 3&4, NetApp and now Nintendo Switch are all great examples of
> what you can do with FreeBSD in a proprietary system.
>
> Dot Net Core also opens up Arm based systems on FreeBSD in some ways
> because it's specifically designed do be modular. I don't think Mono
> has built on Arm for a long time and the performance of Mono has been
> a problem of note.
>
> Russ

I'm trying to perform due diligence because I want to throw some time
into this. Avoiding GPL and other encumbering licenses is important to
me. I had to know myself so I made this list of licenses:

https://github.com/dotnet/csharplang - Microsoft
https://github.com/dotnet/cli -
https://www.microsoft.com/net/dotnet_library_license.htm

https://github.com/dotnet/source-build - MIT