Did someone compare the number of ports with packages in Linux distros?

David Chisnall theraven at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 18 02:06:49 UTC 2013

It's quite difficult to do meaningful comparisons.  For example, we have a port for gcc 4.7, but Debian has, last time I counted, over ten distinct packages for each GCC release.  There are other places where we have split things up into multiple ports, but other operating systems use a single one.

David