leveraging FOSS, especially FreeBSD

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Mon Sep 28 17:49:50 UTC 2009

Don Wilde wrote:
> What is incorrect, Julian?
.. etc.

In 1977 I started learning Unix V6 as a Unix newbie.  There were
no UCB bits I heard of till csh & job control & vi floated in to
my Uni. a few years on, maybe 1980 +/- a year or 2, I'd guess about
82.  Can't remember when I heard of first complete BSD releases for
PDP/VAX but after the individual bits.

man 3 ctime
	"The functions ctime(), gmtime() and localtime() all take
	as an argument a time value representing the time in seconds
	since the Epoch (00:00:00 UTC, January 1, 1970; see time(3))."

1970 in context quoted below ? No.

> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Julian H. Stacey <jhs at berklix.com> wrote:
> >> From:         Don Wilde <dwilde1 at gmail.com>
> > Don Wilde wrote:
> >> http://www.engineeringjobfuture.com/articles/leverage/open-source-software
> > Article contains
> >        "The lawsuit was bitterly contested, but finally resolved.
> >        Everything developed before 1970 was declared by a judge
> >        to be open forever more, and everything developed after
> >        that was AT&T's property."
> >
> > False. I stopped reading at that point, after all, the journalist
> > was probably just winging it, after a few emails to people who read
> > the activity at the time (inc many of us doubtless).
> >
> > The people who know Most about the UCB Lite agreement, won't speak much
> > anyway - they signed non disclosures.
>
> --
> -- Don Wilde
>    " Engineering the Future "