National mailinglists - why isn't it there yet?

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Sun Mar 2 22:07:04 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 10:26:45PM +0100, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Ed Schouten wrote:
> >
> > --WYTEVAkct0FjGQmd
> >
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I was just speaking with another dutch FreeBSD user (and developer)
> > about FreeBSD mailing lists.
> >
> > I know so far most of the national FreeBSD user groups have their own
> > infrastructure that doesn't use any services from the FreeBSD project
> > (for example, the Dutch BSD User Group, D-BUG).
> >
> > Even though I am convinced the FreeBSD project should remain focused on
> > developing its flagship product, the operating system, I think the
> > community would have a great advantage if the project would already host
> > national mailing lists, which should only be used for questions in the
> > rare cases where the person doesn't understand English, but mainly to
> > coordinate activities which have a national scope.
> >
> > These mailing lists could be used to discuss upcoming events and
> > conferences, but could also be used for discussions about translations
> > of the documentation.
> >
> > Is there a reason why such mailing lists don't exist yet? If not, what
> > kind of procedures should one follow to create a mailing list for a
> > certain language?
> >
> > --=20
> >  Ed Schouten <ed at fxq.nl>
>
> Only country I know of is Germany: In that case there is a DNS
> localy delegated namespace sub domain de.freebsd.org, & within that
> there were (last I looked) 7 lists run from a majordomo@ (not a
> mailman@ http:// interface though they do have a mirror of the
> standard http:// stuff ) Each country's localy oriented nationals
> can do their own thing within that.

I think that the question dropped by Edw was more of why this service
wasn't offered from the FreeBSD mailman infrastructure. I think
that every country and state  has its own mailman/majordomo/ezmlm/whatever
features, but none are ran centrally.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org