[alerts@infosecnews.org: [ISN] Top Ten Reasons Why Ubuntu, Is Best for Enterprise Use]

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Nov 25 18:01:51 PST 2007

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 10:57:53AM -0300, Sd??vtaker wrote:
> Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> >	Source available
> >		If bug fixes or enhancements later needed, can easily
> >		Pay a consultant to do it, Global Index:
> >			http://berklix.com/consultants/
> >		Can choose Any competing consultant, not dependent on
> >		just one software vendor who has access to closed source,
> >		but may not consider it his priority.
> :-)
> >	Security, Peace of mind:
> >		Code can be read by many, loopholes exposed & fixed,
> >		not hidden & left open.
> Yeap!!!

So . . . what exactly is the point of confusion?  Those two compound
points seem like good enough reasons for using open source software, to
me, all by themselves -- at least for some people's needs.

> >	16,000 odd packages, mostly free from ports/ many not on MS.
> Yes, but you miss some great products sometimes... The one i can
> remember now is VMware, they not porting it to BSD only works in windows
> and linux, and the linux version got limited functionallity.

There's a lot of stuff you can miss in the commercial world, too.

Another note:

Often, people choose open source software for reasons of idealism.  I,
for instance, and not a huge fan of software patents and copyright
restrictions (which serve as a sort of intellectual prior restraint).

Marvin Minsky: "It's just incredible that a trillion-synapse computer could
actually spend Saturday afternoon watching a football game."