Dell is asking what free OS to preinstall

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 15 19:43:19 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 14 March 2007 13:26, Jeff Rollin wrote:
> On 14/03/07, Eric Kjeldergaard <kjelderg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > drivers.)  For those of us using FreeBSD, there's not a substantial
> > advantage to proprietary linux drivers over proprietary Windows drivers.
We
> > go unsupported either way.
> >

> Hmm, well I would hope that they would use hardware with open source
> drivers only, in which case, yes, FreeBSD would be able to take
> advantage. Even if, say, the OSD's are GPL'ed, that would at least
> allow BSD users to inquire as to the specs from the OSD developers.

Not really.  Some open source drivers are developed under NDA's where the
driver author can get the spec, but they can't share it.  There are several
drivers in FreeBSD where this is the case in fact.  Porting a driver from
another OS when that driver just uses magic numbers all over the place like
many Linux drivers do can be a royal pain as well.

--
John Baldwin