Dell is asking what free OS to preinstall

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Mar 15 16:00:27 UTC 2007

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 01:58:57 +0100
Jona Joachim <walkingshadow at grummel.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 17:50:22 -0500
> "Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > The survey is asking "What OS do you want pre-installed?" - it is
> > > not asking "Do you want open source drivers". If we choose an OS
> > > that "might" be able to get the binary globs removed and use the
> > > source instead, then in my opinion, we are playing games with the
> > > survey that may not actually end up with us getting something we
> > > can use in FreeBSD.
> > >
> > > By contrast, if enough people vote for FreeBSD, then dell might
> > > actually offer to install FreeBSD.
> > >

> > Stop right there. Dell has already decided to go with Linux and
>
> You can buy Dell Notebooks with FreeDOS preinstalled. Last time I
> checked FreeDOS was not a Linux distro.
> I can't see why you say that FreeBSD resembles Debian so much. If I
> were to choose a Linux distro which is somewhat like FreeBSD I'd say
> Gentoo but anyway there's no point to it.
> Ubuntu is going to win the survey anyway. However there is a point in
> voting for FreeBSD. There is hardware that is more or less well
> supported under Linux but not yet as well supported under FreeBSD
> (ipw3945 for example). If Dell see that a lot of FreeBSD users are
> interested in their products they may want to choose hardware that is
> well supported under most open source operating systems, not only
> Linux. This brings them new customers for little effort.

FreeBSD, on a good day with the wind at its back, is going to be a fractional
percentage of their user base.

They resisted supporting Linux despite heavy use among their customer
base for over 10 years.

A better idea would be to write to them separately about FreeBSD, and to tell
them how you use FreeBSD with their hardware already.

Maintenance of a Dell FreeBSD FAQ would probably do more to show them that
there is demand than hijacking an unrelated survey.

--
shannon           | The grieving lords take ship.  With these our very souls