confused FreeBSD entrant

Julian Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Wed Aug 22 15:00:11 PDT 2007

Reference:

Sunnz wrote:
> It seems like you have a huge misunderstanding of what an OS is.
>
> What are you trying to do? You said you are "opening up a small VoIP
> project", so do you know what specific program that you need for your
> project?

Also, "yahya wafula" <yawafula at hotmail.com>, a better mail list to ask
newcomer questions is
	freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
	http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/archive/freebsd-questions.html
whereas this list
	freebsd-advocacy at freebsd.org
is for use of those planning advocacy campaigns, strategy , media etc.
Here's a list of mail lists
	http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/

I suggest a good Long browse starting at top of
	http://www.freebsd.org/
which should at least tell you what FreeBSD is.

Oh & 	http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html

> [...]
> >    ordering some two CDs from UK but then the major catastrophe faced me
> >    on how the program works. after installation and also making a user
> >    account i logged in but there was a message telling me to check for
> >    newer errata files. i'm confused because first i can't see a desktop
> >    despite me seeing how the desktop looks like at
> >    [1]http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major
> >
> >    what should i do and why are this endless errata messages coming my
> >    way? how am i going to be able to see the desktop and work with the
> >    program? how am i going to be able to install any other program on my
> >    pc? do u've any solution to all these obstacles?
> >
> >    thanks alot with regards.
> >    confused FreeBSD entrant
> >
> >    YAHYA WAFULA OJWANG
> >      >
> >      >To post to this list, send your email to:
> >      >
> >      >   freebsd-advocacy at freebsd.org
> >      >
> >      >General information about the mailing list is at:
> >      >
> >      >   http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-advocacy
> >      >
> >      >If you ever want to unsubscribe or change your options (eg, switch
> >      >or from digest mode, change your password, etc.), visit your
> >      >subscription page at:
> >      >
> >      >
> >      http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/options/freebsd-advocacy/yawafula%
> >      40hotmail.com
> >      >
> >      >
> >      >You can also make such adjustments via email by sending a message
> >      to:
> >      >
> >      >   freebsd-advocacy-request at freebsd.org
> >      >
> >      >with the word `help' in the subject or body (don't include the
> >      >quotes), and you will get back a message with instructions.
> >      >
> >      >You must know your password to change your options (including
> >      changing
> >      >the password, itself) or to unsubscribe.  It is:
> >      >
> >      >   mimi2030
> >      >
> >      >Normally, Mailman will remind you of your freebsd.org mailing list
> >      >passwords once every month, although you can disable this if you
> >      >prefer.  This reminder will also include instructions on how to
> >      >unsubscribe or change your account options.  There is also a
> >      button on
> >      >your options page that will email your current password to you.
> >
> >    Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! [2]MSN Messenger
> >    Download today it's FREE!
> >
> > References
> >
> >    1. http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major
> >    2. http://g.msn.com/8HMBEN/2734??PS=47575
> >

> --
> 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Julian Stacey. Munich Computer Consultant, BSD Unix C Linux. http://berklix.com
	Ihr Rauch=mein allergischer Kopfschmerz. Dump cigs 4 snuff.