please, a little sanity about the logo

Chris Zumbrunn chris at czv.com
Mon Feb 14 23:41:54 PST 2005

On Feb 15, 2005, at 4:00 AM, cpghost at cordula.ws wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 10:53:23PM -0500, Steve Ireland wrote:
>> This leads to a suggestion others have already made, a splitting
>> of FBSD into hobbyist and professional branches. The hobbyists
>> keep Beastie, the .org site, and the non-profit status. The
>> professionals get the new logo, the .com site, and pay for use
>> and support (perhaps an annual subscription?).
>
> Quite frankly, I don't understand the current push for
> a "commercial-friendly" logo on behalf of the FreeBSD Project.
>
> There have always been a few companies that provided
> a commercial version on CDs, and nobody would have any
> objections that these companies use their own logos to
> push their own version (or an unmodified version) of
> FreeBSD into the enterprise.
>
> This is similar to SuSE, RedHat and others who use their own
> logos to distribute the one and only Linux kernel and
> an assorted set of libraries and utilities. "Linux" itself
> doesn't have a logo either (if we followed the party line
> that Tux and Beastie were mascots and not logos).
>
> The FreeBSD Project should IMHO remain vendor neutral,
> and stick to code development. There's absolutely no need
> to commercialize anything; much less need for any kind of
> logo. The project did very well without a logo (and with
> Beastie), and there's no reason to have one now, just to
> appease those zealots (as you've pointed out). Just leave
> this to the vendors.

I hope it doesn't surprise you (or anybody else) that I agree with you
100%. Those that do not agree should read it again, and again, and
again, until they do.

The reason why I'm doing the website/logo design work anyway is because
it needs an update/refresh. We don't want that people that get
information about FreeBSD for the first time get an initial impression
that this project has been abandoned sometime late in the nineteen
hundreds. It's maintenance in order to keep what we already have (or
get back what we already had back then).

/czv