The only worthwhile logo-related comments so far....

Paul A. Hoadley paulh at logicsquad.net
Sat Feb 12 22:45:03 PST 2005

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 02:30:59PM +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Paul A. Hoadley wrote:
> >On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 01:26:48PM +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> >
> >>No matter what FreeBSD will do, companies will not accept FreeBSD
> >>more as long as this structure stays like this.
> >
> >What makes you draw this conclusion?
>
> My experience with companies here in south-east Asia and in Germany.
>
> If a company did not use FreeBSD anyway, FreeBSD was finally
> block-off with this reasoning.
>
> I never have had to go into the discussion regarding logos or names,
> it was just about the supporting structure behind.

You've snipped a little severely there, and I think this is worth
getting straight.  The original context began with a reference to
active committers voting for a core group:

> >Also remember that the community (committers) voted them into
> >"office" to represent and make decisions for us.
>
> Do not get me wrong here. I do not think that this is bad.
>
> I think that this is the reason for the acceptance as it is by
> companies.
>
> No matter what FreeBSD will do, companies will not accept FreeBSD
> more as long as this structure stays like this.

So when you refer to the supporting structure here:

> I never have had to go into the discussion regarding logos or names,
> it was just about the supporting structure behind.

are you really saying that you have had experiences where FreeBSD was
rejected when it became clear that the project was steered by a small
group of developers elected from a larger group of developers?  That
is, was the rejection based on a description of the core group concept
specifically, or some larger issue of support?

--
Paul.

w  http://logicsquad.net/
h  http://paul.hoadley.name/