Are the Open Source desktops too complicated?

Johnson David DavidJohnson at Siemens.com
Tue Mar 9 11:42:24 PST 2004

On Tuesday 09 March 2004 11:21 am, Drews, Jonathan* wrote:

>  I tend to agree with Victoria Livschitz, a senior IT architect with
> Sun Microsystems. Perhaps the Kde (and Gnome) desktops are becoming
> to complicated for volunteers to adequately maintain?

I would seriously discount Sun's musings. It seems like they're
rehashing old ground that Fred Brooks has thoroughly explored. If
they're having a problem with Sun's version of Gnome, they should look
at themselves instead of Gnome.

I would definitely not take Victoria's comment of "buggy to a point
beyond salvation" out of context. She was not talking about Gnome or
KDE. She was talking about software projects in general. And to a Java
community in particular.

Large programs do have more bugs. No one with any experience in the
field disagrees with this. So what KDE and Gnome have done is to split
up the desktop into small autonomous components. A bug in Kwrite does
not affect Kwin, for example. Also, a less-than-conscientious developer
for one component doesn't damage the quality of the remaining
components.

I agree with you though on documentation. I did some docs for Krayon.
But this is nothing new. Developers of all stripes, proprietary or
free, hate to do documentation. For them documentation is something you
do after the code is finished, while for "process" people documentation
is something you do before anything else. But somehow KDE and Gnome
seem to produce quality documentation. Maybe not to the high standards
of FreeBSD documentation, but then again, very few projects regardless
of size are able to do that.

David