FreeBSD's Visual Identity: Outdated?

Devon H. O'Dell dodell at sitetronics.com
Thu Dec 23 05:29:39 PST 2004

Carsten Zimmermann wrote:
> Hello -
[snip]
> The website: The website is fine. It serves its purpose as stated before.
> But imagine being a network technician convincing your employer to move
> applications to The Great OS. I think the current FreeBSD website pretty
> much suggests as FreeBSD being a `geek´ project. It can't be our aim that
> FreeBSD is considered unserious, FreeBSD definately needs trusting
> companies to raise its market penetration. And company's stake holders are
> (most often) easily tempted by visual impressions. Thus, the website
> itself is the primary marketing material in my eyes and I think there is
> great need of redesigning it in the midterm view.
>
> That much from me,
> Carsten

[snip]

I really hate to have to say this in such a crude way, but this
discussion has always and will always boil down to this: put up, or shut up.

There are a LOT of goals that have been set for this project, and nobody
has ever stepped up to help do them. Don't know what to do? The thread's
really in the archive, go check it out!

Other ideas to discuss? Put a bit of energy behind it and do the things
instead of discussing them.

Again, sorry for the coarseness, but people never seem to understand
this when this subject is brought up.

Kind regards,

Devon H. O'Dell