Slashdot rejects "BSD is NOT dying" article

Mike Hoskins mike at adept.org
Sun Sep 28 19:34:14 PDT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Michal Pasternak wrote:
> Well, just make sure to click each domain and see, what do the guys behind
> it really do ;) I am perfectly sure, that their boxes work quite much
> everyday.

that's what the load balancer bit refered to...  my point was there are
lots of technologies out there that can make a given URI look highly
available without having anything much at all to do with the underlying
operating system of the hosts themselves.

i'm a BSD fan, and we do quite well in the stats...  that's good, and i'm
glad to see it.  i'm just pointing out that "uptime" alone can give
results that don't really say much about the site's OS of choice.  big
sites like Dell and M$ run mostly IIS installs these days...  they don't
achieve uptime (from a user's or netcraft's perspective) due to the merits
of their OS/product.

-mrh

From: "Spam Catcher" <spam-catcher at adept.org>
To: spam-catcher at adept.org
Do NOT send email to the address listed above or
you will be added to a blacklist!