FreeBSD Revamped Look 'n' feel: Feedback appreciated!

Nicole nicole at unixgirl.com
Mon Sep 15 11:23:10 PDT 2003

On 15-Sep-03 My Homeland Security Spies reported that Mike Hoskins said:
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
>> Indeed. Has anybody ever checked out http://sun.com?
>
> heh.  even oracle had a text-only front page up for a long while.  part of
> trying to cheat 'homepage download times' i believe, but the point is you
> can be very big/successful/trusted(?) in the 'business world' and not have
> a website cluttered with javascript and flashy graphics.
>
> if someone makes the site better, great...  but i like the current site a
> lot, and i'd want any changes to actually be better, not just different.

 No one said it has to have Java, and spinning logo's and other annoyances,
just a site that is face friendly to non techie's. IE the usual up front
Contacts listings (warm and fuzzy thing there with them) Quick links to success
stories and testimonials and other such gooberish that excites managers.  I
think manay managers want the same thing.. Its a Cover Their Ass thing. IE they
want something They can point to ti Their boss, especially if something oes
wrong.

As I understand it managers think in these terms: (i'm sure people can add more)

 ROI
 Can I find competent people who can use it
 Can I easily train somone to use it
 Can I call or have them call someone to bail us out in a crisis.
 Can it really do the job? What if it can't?
 What will it do to / for my budget
 Can I point to something to get a cover my ass OK from above.

 With the amount of free publicity Linux has as well as all the companies tied
in making servers installed with it and the rep calls from Sun.. etc.. FreeBSD
needs to be that more agressive in it's promototion if it wants to jumpstart
it's usage. So far I have seen some good things. But even a Managers go here
link off the main site geared to them would be a good idea. So Ok a complete
change too much for ya?  Let him design a link off the main site to be
management friendly or as someone suggested a freebsd.com freebsd.org split!

 Yea its silly. But look at VHS vs Beta. Technical supereriority did not win.
 No manager wants to buy something that they fear could be a BetaMax.

 Nicole

> -mrh
>
> --
> From: "Spam Catcher" <spam-catcher at adept.org>
> To: spam-catcher at adept.org
> Do NOT send email to the address listed above or
> you will be added to a blacklist!

*******                |\ __ /|   (`\             *******
 *   *                 | o_o  |__  ) )             *   *
  * *                 //      \\                    * *
   *   Blessed Be!        |      Powered by FreeBSD  *
----------------------(((---(((--------------------------------
 http://www.unixgirl.com  -  http://www.deviantimages.com
               http://www.drumslayer.com

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams."
     --Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

"Witchcraft is in essence the worship of the powers of this world,
 beautiful and terrible, but all in a circle under the turning sky
 that is the One."     -C.A. Burland, "Echoes of Magic"

"Connecting with energy is something humans have to be open
 to and talking about and expecting,  otherwise the whole human
 race can go back to pretending that life is about power over others
 and exploiting the planet.  If we go back to doing this,
 then we won't survive."      -James Redfield, "The Celestine Prophecy"