Follow-up on the Mock-up

Nigel Weeks nigel at e-easy.com.au
Tue Sep 16 01:08:44 PDT 2003

Well, this has been fun.

Firstly, I'm not a professional web designer. I just thought I'd have a
crack at it.
Thanks for all the comments, especially the bad. If I'm told how to improve,
I can.

Here's the Pro's and Con's, and a response for each:
Cons:
  Mike H: ...this thing has borders that only display in IE...
  Resp: Tested in Konqueror 3.1, IE5.5, and IE6. If you can let me know how
to get the borders to appear in your browser, let me know

  Mike H: ...it has a body with a relative width but a header with fixed
with...
  Resp: 10 minute fix. Top bar is now blended to RGB#990000, so should scale
to unlimited widths. If your browser won't do 'background-image:, and
background-color:', let me know - I'd like to hear from you.

  Mike H: ...at least look like you have a clue about
webdesign/layout/presentation...
  Resp: This is what I feed on. That's why I'm replying...;-)

  j.el-rayes: ...freebsd is not commerical, it is not an enterprise, it is
not all about cash. we do not compare ourselves with red hat, suse and other
.coms
  Resp: Surely more purchases of cdroms from people with money is going to
help get features completed quicker?!?. You can pay more developers? yes,
no?

  T Rhodes: ...a database makes it difficult for our mirrors...
  Resp: This is interesting. May require some thought on how robots, wget,
etc, handle arguments to PHP scripts.

  M Pasternak: ...If you want to make a big, corporate-like
website about FreeBSD - think about internals first, write some code, use
some readily available web management systems (have you tried Zope yet?) -
and then we can talk about this. Your idea is a very good one, but people
don't browse ideas, they browse webpages. Hope you will have something to
show to us soon...
  Resp: I've done a few changes, and swung part of a simple content
management system over to it. It's not going yet, but it'll plug in quite
nicely.

Schema of Database: http://www.aims.net.au/nigel/bsdn/schema.sql (not
complete yet)

The mock-up has been updated to cater for all coments that I can address.
Please, if you can, send me more comments.
If this can get to an acceptable stage, who knows, anything might happen...
http://www.aims.net.au.nigel/bsdn/

Thanks all!

N.