SCO goes after BSD?

Arjan van Leeuwen avleeuwen at piwebs.com
Thu Nov 20 09:22:57 PST 2003

There's more information on this at Enterprise Linux:

http://www.enterprise-linux-it.com/perl/story/22719.html

Seems like we will have to wait until at least 2004 to hear what SCO has to
say :).

--Start relevant quotes--
Second, SCO has said it will broaden its copyright protection efforts to
include "copyrighted code included in the 1994 settlement between Unix
Systems Laboratories and Berkeley Software Design (BSD)." SCO has said it
does not expect to file any BSD-related lawsuits until the first half of
2004.

(...)

BSD Gets Involved

Enlarging the scope of its legal battle to include BSD, SCO says it now is
comparing code awarded in a 1994 settlement involving that company.

"As part of the settlement agreement that took place between BSD and AT&T
(NYSE: T)  and Novell, there were certain files that had to have the
copyright attribution put back in," Stowell said.

"Copyright attribution has been stripped away from certain code, and we're
seeing that same situation taking place with Linux with those same exact BSD
files," he said. "Those files have gone back into Linux, and the copyright
attribution has been stripped away." Those BSD files must have their
copyright attribution restored, Stowell said.

Additionally, "there were Unix System V files within BSD that were not
supposed to be there, and those files had to be removed from BSD," he said.
"And we're claiming those files that were supposed to have been removed from
BSD have made their way into Linux."

"Some of the BSD code likely made its way into Linux," said Aberdeen Group
analyst Bill Claybrook, "and probably -- almost assuredly -- made its way
into [Unix] System V." However, he told NewsFactor, "You couldn't argue that
just because [BSD] files went into System V, it was derived code."
--end quotes--

Arjan