the unix desktop was possible once

Vulpes Velox kitlists at hotpop.com
Sun Nov 9 17:01:16 PST 2003

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 23:47:34 +0100
".VWV." <victorvittorivonwiktow at interfree.it> wrote:

> Vulpes Velox wrote:
>
> > Why not use 4.9 or 4stable? I see no problem using gtk or gtk+. As
> > long as qt is advioded I don't see any real problems. Free hosting is
> > largely a must... look how much various linuxs have managed to
> > totally bungle the idea of creating a desktop by being commercial.
>

> I have already explained, for a desktop it is necessary a common look for
> the various environments. It can be obtained following the GNUstep standard,
> adopted by Windowmaker. GTK 1.x has the graphical engines to match exactly
> the same look. It is only necessary to find the way to start that bastard of
> Nautilus 1.0.6, which should be docked as for desktop and main file manager.
> As for KDE 3.x, I'll try to hack it to add on the old 'kdestep' style, even
> if I have no idea if I'll be able of mixing the sources in the correct way.

This is easy to fix... copy the .gtkrc to .gtkrc-2.0... then change the font
line... a program that can edit all the config files would be much more
useful...

> > Installation tools are cool. Some nicer config tools would go a long
> > way thought. I am currently working on one to make kernel builds
> > simpler.
>
> This is an optional, as for desktops, because simply reading the Handbook
> and the LINT file, the compilation goes perfectly at the first attempt. In
> any case, it would be nice to have such tool as a part of a customized
> 'sysinstall'.

so all toolkits need to look the same, but

/stand/sysinstall sucks for handling the config... far easier to edit it by hand
then have to mess around with it... and it leaves a lot of things out to...