the unix desktop was possible once

Vulpes Velox kitbsdlists at HotPOP.com
Sat Nov 8 09:35:49 PST 2003

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 03:16:03 +0100
".VWV." <victorvittorivonwiktow at interfree.it> wrote:

> I have understood very well what that manager of Red Hat was trying to
> explain. At the time of KDE 2.x and GNOME 1.x, using Windowamker as desktop,
> it was possible to tune KDE to 'kdestep' style, and GNOME to 'gtkstep',
> obtaining a similar look for all the graphical applications.

I am slowly working on a program working on a program for tweaking all thier
files as well as the files of few window managers.

> Now it is a complete chaos. If those people was working under a hierarchical
> organization like the FreeBSD one, open-source unix could quite destroy
> Microsoft.
> Unfortunately, a lot of people prefer to waste time on endless graphical
> developments, instead of consolidating their platforms.
> The most part of the ports' links for this purpose are still broken, I can
> understand the lack of FreeBSD support for them. I have found a lot of
> sources with the only help of Google.

If you have the capabilities to host, I would be happy to begin work on a
desktop oriented version of fbsd.

> If I wasn't completely alone here, I had tried to pack the desktop described
> above on a FreeBSD for end-users. I'm very disenchanted now, even if my own
> workstations will look as a masterpiece of graphics for the entire life of
> their hardware - wine enclosed -.

The hardpart is finding the hosting required to get the project started. I was
talking to two ppl awhile back, but not heard from either in a while.