I can't believe he said that!

Johnson David DavidJohnson at Siemens.com
Tue Nov 4 13:17:54 PST 2003

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 10:35 am, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:

> And, sorry to say it, but for most computer consumers, Windows
> continues to be the right product line.

I agree with you, but making it a self-fulfilling prophecy by
proclaiming it direct from the executive offices of the world's largest
Linux distributor is crazy.

I can understand why Redhat doesn't want to provide support for their
discontinued "consumer" line of shrink-wrapped CDs, but it doesn't need
to come out and publicly say something this tactless. By discontinuing
Redhat Linux at the same day he said this, Szulik is implying that
Redhat thinks Linux will NEVER be ready for the consumer.

It's one thing to tell an individual customer that you don't have a
solution for their particular need. I've done that myself back when I
was in sales. But that's a far cry from announcing to the world to go
elsewhere. That statement of Szulik's is going to be quoted by
Microsoft for the next decade.

David