SCO sue IBM re Linux Sys V Copyright. Maybe patent danger lat er?

Johnson David DavidJohnson at Siemens.com
Mon May 19 13:13:38 PDT 2003

On Monday 19 May 2003 10:34 am, Linh Pham wrote:

> Microsoft has always said that the GPL is viral and has potential
> effects on companies who use Linux (and other GPL'd software)... this
> is just another bit that they can carry in their arsenal.

But it's FUD that will only work against the ignorant. This case isn't
about GPL infecting a proprietary source base, but rather about a GPL
source base using proprietary code without permission. The licensing of
Linux has zero bearing on the matter, the licensing of SCO's UNIX code
is what matters.

What if SCO found that Microsoft had used SCO UNIX code in Windows
Server 2003? Is that any better? Of course not.

David

p.s. Of course I think the whole SCO lawsuit is baseless.