Brilliant and very useful for FreeBSD, IMHO

Johnson David DavidJohnson at Siemens.com
Mon Apr 7 11:08:09 PDT 2003

On Sunday 06 April 2003 10:20 am, Gregory A. Gilliss wrote:
> This was posted on slashdot.org:
>
> http://www.linuxworld.com/2003/0401.tsu.html
>
> I would recommend that *everyone* read this today (Sunday) and ask
> your- selves whether the current FreeBSD distro (4.x or 5.x) meets
> the goals set out by this study?

Frankly, the expections set forth by the reviewer are unrealistic. She
wants a Windows clone. She wants a new operating system while not
changing anything in how she works. By her own admission, not even
Windows XP meets the criteria! (btw, it was a review, not a study)

I don't think FreeBSD will ever be a "newbie" system. Sorry guys, but I
don't. By "newbie" system I mean something that you click "OK" and it
installs and works with no additional configuration for anything. The
only way we could reach this state without compromising other goals is
to have FreeBSD preinstalled on OEM systems.

But that doesn't mean FreeBSD isn't suitable for a desktop system.
Indeed, it already is. FreeBSD is what I use at home and at work on my
desktops. The only time I boot into Windows is to run Outlook Calendar
to schedule a meeting, or to play CivIII. The only time I boot into
Linux is for software compatibility testing.

David