Extracting screen's EDID-information from ACPI

Mikhail T. mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com
Mon May 24 16:06:20 UTC 2010

22.05.2010 12:59, Kostik Belousov написав(ла):
> My hybrid  (Z820) only provides EDID information when switched to
> use intel graphics. Nvidia driver reports that no screens are attached.

Exactly... For some reason NVidia driver fails to detect the screen and
is not smart enough obtain the information via ACPI itself.

The work-around is to extract the EDID from ACPI manually and make it
available to the driver as file (128-bytes long).

I managed to extract that information from the result of `acpidump -o
dump' -- by writing a little program to look for the proper
byte-sequence (gleaned from the sources of
http://www.polypux.org/projects/read-edid/)...

I may polish my utility and publish it, but things should be easier than
that -- as, dare I say it, they already is under Linux, for example
(with their /proc/acpi/... )

    -mi