Extracting screen's EDID-information from ACPI

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Sat May 22 17:19:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:12:48PM -0400, Mikhail T. wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm struggling to get a Vaio-laptop with NVidia graphics to work properly.
>
> NVidia's own driver (from x11/nvidia-driver) does not "see" the laptop's own
> built-in screen. Linux users have solved this problem:
>
>    http://code.google.com/p/vaio-f11-linux/wiki/NVIDIASetup
>
> but that requires reading ACPI-data via the Linux' proc-filesystem:
>
>    /proc/acpi/video/NGFX/LCD/EDID
>
> FreeBSD's /proc does not have the acpi subdirectory, and neither does our
> /compat/linux/proc
>
> I'm sure, acpidump can extract the needed info, but I don't know, how :-(
>
> I put the disassembled dump (acpidump -dt) of this laptop to:
>
>    http://aldan.algebra.com/~mi/VPCF11M1E.acpidump.bz2
>
> Is the necessary information (128 raw bytes or so) in there?
>
> Could somebody give an idea? Thanks!
>
>    -mi
>
> P.S. The laptop runs 8.1-prerelease/i386

My hybrid  (Z820) only provides EDID information when switched to
use intel graphics. Nvidia driver reports that no screens are attached.

I use the following in xorg.conf to force the driver to attach.
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName   "GeForce 9300M GS"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0,DFP-1"
        Option      "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true"
        Option      "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck"
        Option      "Coolbits" "1"
EndSection