Lock up when going to 'economy mode' (battery)

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Thu Apr 27 20:17:59 UTC 2006

Nate Lawson wrote:
> Eric Anderson wrote:
>>  From single user, this works as expected - unplugging the power
>> adapter makes the laptop go into low power mode, and everything
>> continues to work.
>>
>> However, when in multi-user mode, it locks the machine up, and all I
>> see is the ACPI messages on the console telling me it went in/out of
>> economy/performance modes.  I can only hard boot the laptop to get it
>> back working.  This is a new Dell Latitude D820 (Core Duo).
>>
>> powerd_enable="YES"
>  >
>> powerd_flags="-a max -b adaptive -p 100  -r 65 -i 90"
>
> Try disabling powerd.  Then from the command line in single user mode,
> poke around with dev.cpu.0.freq=XXX.  You could disable p4tcc and
> acpi_throttle to see if that helps (hint.p4tcc.0.disabled="1").
>
>> performance_cx_lowest="C1"
>> economy_cx_lowest="C1"
>
> I see you've disabled the potential Cx interaction.  I'll look into that
> issue soon now that I have a system that exhibits this bug.

Looks like I had cpufreq.ko loaded, which caused the problem.  Removing
that from loader.conf made my system happy again.

Here's another thing I noticed (unrelated to above):

I booted with the main battery, and had a dvd drive in the option bay.
Unplug the AC, battery remaining time shows about 4 hours.
Plug AC back in.
Then did:
atacontrol detach ata1
and removed the dvd drive.
Then, I inserted the secondary battery.
I didn't notice anything (no battery charging, no dmesg info, etc).

I then unplugged the AC, and the battery remaining time shows '-1'.

Hints?

Eric