ASUS A8N-VM unbootable (panics) with ACPI in 6.0-RELEASE]

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Fri Dec 30 08:03:40 PST 2005

On Friday 30 December 2005 15:25, mls at quaggaspace.org wrote:
> > On Friday 30 December 2005 05:20, Justin Settle wrote:
> >> So my nice shiny new ASUS A8N-VM came in the mail today, and well, the
> >> system kernel panics if I try to boot it with ACPI.  This happens in
> >
> > See my recent posts re: A8N-VM CSM with the same issue. The DSDT table is
> > so fundamentally broken (but has a correct checksum, so it's not an issue
> > If you like, I can post the modified DSDT on a website somewhere.
>
> Would it be possible for you to post it somewhere just to see what you
> did? Hexediting dstl tables would be a new thing for me :).

http://people.fruitsalad.org/adridg/development.freebsd.html#a8nvm

I'm still working on a longer explanation of what goes wrong and what the
state of the system is.

> > Also with the fixed DSDT, ata-33. nForce430 is still too leading-edge. Do
> > you get the nForce430 NIC listed at all? Mine doesn't even show up in
> > pciconf -lv.
>
> I actually didn't try the nve at all.  Having read previous messages I
> knew that
> would be an uphill battle.  The machine is working nicely with an xl
> plugged into its PCI slot.

Ditto. I found a 3c095 in a shoebox, which does just fine.

> The ATA is a bummer.  I may try and got with a
> gentoo install and see if it'll work there.  My understanding there is that
> nvidia's nforce drivers will allow the ata to work at full speed.  However,
> the linux folks also have to hack up the kernel to get around the buggy
> asus acpi character.

Yes; note that the nVidia Linux boards are quite useful, and you can get FC4,
OpenSuse or Gentoo working on these systems. Here's a good start:

> > I figured that the first BIOS update (to 0506) would fix the problem, but
> > no. What's worse, it also made the machine lock up in x86 no-ACPI mode.

YMMV, it might have been arguing with ACPI more and I forget whether I was
booting amd64 or x86 at the time. Perhaps 6-R x86 will work with the newer
BIOS (I don't fancy looking for the floppies right now).

In any case, with 6-STABLE x86 X w/ nvidia drivers works and runs KDE 3.5
quite nicely.

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot