dl580g3/amd64: [ACPI] 6.0-RELEASE will not boot with ACPI enabled

paketix at bluewin.ch paketix at bluewin.ch
Thu Dec 29 23:38:45 PST 2005

>-- Original-Nachricht --
>From: John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org>
>To: freebsd-acpi at freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: dl580g3/amd64: [ACPI] 6.0-RELEASE will not boot with ACPI enabled
>Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:30:13 -0500
>Cc: paketix at bluewin.ch
>

>On Wednesday 28 December 2005 04:06 am, paketix at bluewin.ch wrote:
>> if booted with 6.0-RELEASE (amd64) the system hangs
>> if booted with 5.4-RELEASE (amd64) the system boots just fine
>> disabling acpi on 6.0-RELEASE helps but it seems that using SMP will not
>> be possible after that
>> it seems to be an issue related to the pci cards - if if remove all cards
>> the system boots well using 6.0-RELEASE
>>
>> please find all the logs (boot -v; sysctl; acpidump) at
>> http://mypage.bluewin.ch/poe/
>>
>> system description:
>> hp dl580g3
>> dual proc xeon 3ghz
>> 4gb ram
>> smart array 6i
>> 5 fiber optic dual port pci-x cards (intel)
>> 1 rj45 quad port pci-x card (intel)
>>
>> please let me know if further information/patch-testing is needed
>> local access to the machines is possible until mid of january - one machine
>> runs 5.4-RELEASE the other one 6.0-RELEASE
>> hope somebody has the time to have a look at it
>>
>> regards, pat
>
>Try enabling SMP by building an SMP kernel.  I think I know what this issue
>is
>and might have a possible fix that's not in HEAD yet.  On some Intel
>motherboards, when an OS uses a certain delivery mode for interrupts
>(LOWPRIO, which FreeBSD currently uses), the chipset sends all interrupts
>cpu3 (htt cpu on 2nd processor), but with a UP kernel that CPU isn't started
>
>up and listening for interrupts.  It seems that when you use LOWPRIO Intel's
>
>chipset _ignores_ the programmed destination and sends interrupts to CPU
>3.
>Even if you program the Irq to go to CPU 2, it still sends it to CPU 3.

>I'm
>not sure why 5.4 is not seeing the same issue.  However, several people
have

>reported that on 6.0 they have to enable SMP if they use the apic to boot.
>
>--
>John Baldwin <jhb at FreeBSD.org>  <><  http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/
>"Power Users Use the Power to Serve"  =  http://www.FreeBSD.org

hi john
thanks for your feedback!
i created a smp kernel from RELENG_6_0 this morning and tested it on the
dl580g3 with acpi enabled - but still the same behaviour...
...the system boots and hangs somewhere after initializing the nics

please find the new logs (smp kernel config and boot -v) at
http://mypage.bluewin.ch/poe/