dl580g3/amd64: [ACPI] 6.0-RELEASE will not boot with ACPI enabled

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Thu Dec 29 08:30:08 PST 2005

On Wednesday 28 December 2005 04:06 am, paketix at bluewin.ch wrote:
> if booted with 6.0-RELEASE (amd64) the system hangs
> if booted with 5.4-RELEASE (amd64) the system boots just fine
> disabling acpi on 6.0-RELEASE helps but it seems that using SMP will not
> be possible after that
> it seems to be an issue related to the pci cards - if if remove all cards
> the system boots well using 6.0-RELEASE
>
> please find all the logs (boot -v; sysctl; acpidump) at
> http://mypage.bluewin.ch/poe/
>
> system description:
> hp dl580g3
> dual proc xeon 3ghz
> 4gb ram
> smart array 6i
> 5 fiber optic dual port pci-x cards (intel)
> 1 rj45 quad port pci-x card (intel)
>
> please let me know if further information/patch-testing is needed
> local access to the machines is possible until mid of january - one machine
> runs 5.4-RELEASE the other one 6.0-RELEASE
> hope somebody has the time to have a look at it
>
> regards, pat

Try enabling SMP by building an SMP kernel.  I think I know what this issue is
and might have a possible fix that's not in HEAD yet.  On some Intel
motherboards, when an OS uses a certain delivery mode for interrupts
(LOWPRIO, which FreeBSD currently uses), the chipset sends all interrupts to
cpu3 (htt cpu on 2nd processor), but with a UP kernel that CPU isn't started
up and listening for interrupts.  It seems that when you use LOWPRIO Intel's
chipset _ignores_ the programmed destination and sends interrupts to CPU 3.
Even if you program the Irq to go to CPU 2, it still sends it to CPU 3.  I'm
not sure why 5.4 is not seeing the same issue.  However, several people have
reported that on 6.0 they have to enable SMP if they use the apic to boot.