ACPI-0220: *** Error: Unable to install System Control Interrupt Handler, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 12 20:32:27 PST 2005

On Dec 12, 2005, at 5:54 PM, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Dec 2005, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I updated my BIOS on an AMD64 machine to check if it improves some
>> other things and got following with HEAD from around 12-08 (before
>> the last amd64/jhb commits I think) and with HEAD from today (after
>> these updates).
>>
>> RELENG_6 from beginning of December seems to be fine.

>>  AMD Features=0xe2500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,LM,3DNow+,3DNow>
>>  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
>
> for the records:
>
> This line (new BIOS)
> Features=0x78bf9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA
> ,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2>
> should read like this (old BIOS)
> Features=0x78bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PG
> E,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2>
>
> The APIC is missing and it turned out that this is a BIOS and not a
> FreeBSD problem.

Um, gee, that's obscure. :)  You could probably just remove that
check I guess.  I don't know of any machines that include an MP Table
or MADT that use CPUs that don't contain a local APIC anyway.